How the spin works: participants choose 20 books from their list of classics by Monday, May 20th. The moderators pick a number between 1-20 and participants read the corresponding book from their lists by July 1, 2013.
The 20 books I selected below are a combination of books I really want to read (especially the Fallada, Ferber and Fitzgerald) and books that I'm a bit neutral about. I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect of reading two of these books--Grant's Personal Memoirs and Shaar's The Killer Angels--but added them because I don't know much about the Civil War and we are in the midst of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War. There are two books that I'm dreading.
- On the Good Life, Cicero
- Personal Memoirs, Grant
- The Country of the Pointed Firs, Jewett
- The Good Soldier, Ford
- Winesburg, Ohio, Anderson
- This Side of Paradise, Fitzgerald
- Three Soldiers, Dos Passos
- Les Miserables, Hugo
- So Big, Ferber
- Berlin Alexanderplatz, Doblin
- The Maltese Falcon, Hammet
- Tender is the Night, Fitzgerald
- Goodbye to Berlin, Isherwood, Christopher
- The Drinker, Fallada
- The Caine Mutiny, Wouk
- From Here to Eternity, Jones
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Jackson
- Ship of Fools, Porter
- A Moveable Feast, Hemingway
- The Killer Angels, Shaara
Have you read a classic lately? Wanna spin with me?